I'll hop on this train too.
This week I spent most of my time reading through Andrea Gazzarini's Apache
Solr Essentials (tremendous instructive resource) and working through
mbsssss and each core's schema.xml and solrconfig.xml files. After
struggling to figure out how the current search server's
org.musicbrainz.search.index package was going to work in Solr, I realized
that most of that is just going to translate into defining field types and
analysis chains in the Solr configuration.
I also discovered that some of the configuration will have to change. For
example we can't use analyzers on StrField types, Solr only allows them on
TextField types. Also, some of the analysis chains in the previous setup
look like they will create duplicate documents in the Solr index. We might
also consider changing some fieldtypes (currently all of our field types
are string and text) to aid future improvements (faceting, "more like
this", stats for numeric fields, etc.) but I'm focused on just matching the
current functionality for now.
This week I hope to finish up with mbsssss and get started with
implementing support for the last few search fields in sir:
I'm hoping to get a sandbox up and running shortly after my GSoC midterm
evaluation. According to my proposal, I slotted 7/13 for launching the
test server and I believe that is realistic.
Post by Statler & Waldorf
We've got our weekly dev chat on 2015-06-22 on IRC in #musicbrainz-devel
on irc.freenode.net. We're going to meet at Regular Meeting Time 
(19:00 UTC) .
If there is any topic you would like to discuss during the meeting, please
add it to the agenda in the channel topic.
This message brought to you by https://github.com/mayhem/statler-waldorf
Don't even think of responding to this email. We won't answer!
MusicBrainz-devel mailing list